Purpose of the Role
The purpose of the Finance Department Volunteer Role is threefold:
- To lead on creation and provision of Management Information within the credit union, with a primary focus on MI for the Credit Control Team.
- To provide high-level skills and support for the Finance Manager
- To ensure that the ‘key-person risk’ within the Finance Team is managed through the volunteer having sufficient knowledge to be able to cover key time-critical tasks in the absence of the Finance Manager.
The role of Finance Department Volunteer is an unpaid volunteer role. Appropriate expenses (as agreed with the Finance Manager in advance of being incurred), will be paid by the organisation.
The role includes (but is not limited to):
- To support the Operational Management Team (comprising Chief Executive, Finance Manager, Operations Manager, and Business Development Manager) via the creation of accurate, timely, and succinct Management Information (MI) relating to the finances of the business, through the manipulation of the credit union’s CRM system, and spreadsheets, as requested.
- Proactively seeking new ways to improve the accuracy and the presentation of the MI produced
- Using MI to provide the Credit Control team with accurate and timely insight into the performance of the credit union’s loan portfolio.
- Targeting the MI produced for the Credit Control team in such a way that it becomes the cornerstone of their subsequent credit control activities, with a view to it enhancing their collection rates and better outcomes for members in arrears.
- Providing high-level ad-hoc collaboration with the Finance Manager, where problem-solving is needed to overcome a particular challenge that has arisen.
- Undertaking occasional routine tasks, when there is a spike in activity which leaves the Finance Manager needing temporary support.
- Providing contingency cover for the Finance Manager on specific time-critical tasks. These include (but are not limited to): bank reconciliation; month-end system shutdown; payroll; quarterly returns; payments of invoices.
- A focus on detail and ability to provide accurate and understandable reports, with narrative where appropriate
- An ability to work with low levels of supervision
- An ability to problem solve and find new solutions to old problems
- An ability to adapt to changing work practices and routines as the business expands, and update procedures accordingly
- A proactive approach which delivers timely outcomes
Essential and Desirable Experience
- Minimum of 5 years working within a finance department at either managerial or director level
- A recognisable professional qualification relating to accounting
- Strong Excel skills
- Experience of managing finances within a credit union
- Knowledge/experience gained within a ‘not-for-profit’ organisation
It is expected that the role-holder will be able to provide support on a weekly basis, and that the typical time commitment will be circa 5-10 hours per week. Where special projects or contingency cover become necessary, the role holder will need to be able to flex their hours to cover these additional tasks and responsibilities.
The role lends itself to home working, but once the Covid crisis has passed, at least some of the role-holder’s time will be spent at Stockport Credit Union’s offices in Brinnington.
The Finance Department Volunteer will report to, and work closely with, the Finance Manager. From time to time, they may be asked to undertake tasks by the Chief Executive and/or the Treasurer.